Tuesday, February 16, 2010

AGP Acquisitions

Prompted by AGP's sale I purchased a few items from DriveThru RPG.

Castles & Crusades: 100 Calamitous Curses - Exactly as advertised, 100 curses. In nicely formated d100 table that is self contained on it's own pages for easy extraction into one's DM Binder. One page on getting/removing curses and cursed scrolls. I'll use these for lot more than just bestow curse spell; failed sorcery rituals, traps, and NPC spells. Easily worth the price, $1.25

Castles & Crusades: Barbarians of the Wilderlands 1 - I got this for ready made descriptions of 9 barbarian "types" and the Versatility/barbarians in civilization. Very happy about descriptions, versatility not so much. It's too tied into C&C (no fault of the product it's clearly a C&C supplement). Still easily worth the price as the most expensive item of the lot, at $2.00.

Wilderlands: Faiths of the City State: Forn Sidthr - Details of afterlife, a system of tracking sins and virtues that impact your souls disposition, some fluffery. All Norse flavored. I'm so there. In my campaign elves are primarly follower of Norse gods. This gave me the interesting idea of splitting whorship of the Vanir and Aesir into separate groups / cultures. The fluffery (history, pantheon, holy days, etc) was short and brief. Which in my mind is ideal; Easy amount to read, comprehend, understand with plenty of space to expand and customize. It was also very dense, packing a lot of idea generating ideas in a few pages. Really excellent writing all around. It's sad that this style doesn't have wider appeal. The layout/format is good template and one I'll utilize when creating my own religious writeups. $1.50 very well spent.


If you have questions or want a fuller review, ask in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. James has done a nice job with his products. It is too bad they haven't garnered more attention. The 100 Curses is one of the best and most creative things I have picked up in the past year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I sort of feel bad to pay so little for them. (I posted total fluff piece to garner the meager attention for AGP my blog is capable of). I think if he compiled them all into a book and charged more for that he would get more sales.

    There's weird psychology with perceived value and prices esp very low and very high prices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James is in a tough spot these days. Hopefully business picks up for him.

    ReplyDelete

All Time Most Popular Posts