Friday, October 29, 2010

Star Fleet Technical Manual


I (well my older sister) had a copy of the Star Fleet Technical Manual from ADB (who went on to use that material and Star Trek License to make Star Fleet Battles).  It was really, really cool to my adolescent mind.

Adrenaline and other compounds.
In a big auction lot I recently picked up a different version (red cover) and SF Medical Reference Manual (blue cover) which I had never heard of before.

Flipping through the pages made me wonder how cool it would be to base an TOS campaign on just what's presented in these two books.  Other projects got in the way.  The main effect was I started hunting for old FASA Star Trek RPG books. I dig the Triangle Campaign / Trader Captain "campaign".  Playing Klingon "Privateers", Romulan "Traders" (aka spies), or Harry Mudd type "Merchants" seems more fun than encountering new and dangerous aliens, seducing their women, then warping away before you have to deal with any consequences of your actions.  Actually that sounds pretty neat too ;)

Medical procedures for those suffering from a Mugato bite.

More pics from the Star Fleet Medical Reference, which is really a bizarre and interesting collection:

Note: not a red shirt.

Hearts!

Skulls of the Universe

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, just beautiful.

    On the old 'offical' mailing list for Last Unicorn Games' Star Trek RPG (which I playtested and contributed to, albiet in a small way), the question was asked, "Now that the game has been out for a year, what book(s) do you find most useful for your Star Trek campaign?"

    My answer was easy and simple. First, The Star Trek Encyclopedia. Second, the Starfleet Technical Manual. Third, the Starfleet Medical Reference Manual. The question didn't specify which 'game books' were useful...

    Live Long and Run Star Trek!

    ReplyDelete

All Time Most Popular Posts