Thursday, June 16, 2011

OSRIC Suprises

Reading over my OSRIC tome in prep for a T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil campaign this Sunday I came across some surprising, to me, rules.  Assuming I'm not reading them wrong.

[btw excellent thematic (list of spells, list of monsters, etc) TOC.  Even though I found few things still vague I still give mad props to the OSRIC crew.  This book is bad ass.]



Dex does not modify initiative, except with missiles, but it does reduce surprise.  Grrrrr, beginning to remember why I like simple Labyrinth Lord.  I'm gonna try the whole segment initiative system as written.  If it bogs down combat it'll have to go.  Expected individual initiative at least as an option.  I prefer group, so yay.

Multiclassed Elves the less restrictive class requirements apply.  (except thieving).  So armor and spells are go, swords and clerics (this is allowed for any races multiclassing).  Rules mention limiting this to elfin chain which I might do otherwise elves seem darn uber.

Multi Dwarfs suffer most restrictive and Multi Gnomes can were leather no better.

Racial level limits seem way low.  Very view multiclass chars would be suitable for 8-12lvl modules.  I didn't see anywhere bonus for being single classed demi-human, maybe it's a UA rule, but I'm gonna allow single class demi-humans 150% max level restrictions.

I never liked Assassin class, but this one seems unsucky enough that I'll allow it.

No monk class :(

Traps spring 50% of time.  Similar rule in D&D/OD&D(I believe).  As DM I've totally missed this and have always had traps "fire" 100% of time (unless, of course, they are disarmed).


pg 121 When Closing Into Combat neither combatant may attack that round.

pg 121-122 Creatures with multiple attacks are considered one "routine".  They all happen on creature's initiative and they all attack same target!  Unless creature description says otherwise.

pg 122 Melee targets are random!  Players can't choose their target.  Not sure how I feel about this.  Having everyone beat up on the same target is time honored tactic.

pg 122 Melee range is 10'

9 comments:

  1. Melee Targets are random...

    That is a brilliant idea I may need to test out. Perhaps some form of ability to choose target.

    Like an intelligence check or some such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking strictly for myself thinking as a player, I would be very upset to learn that I couldn't choose my combat target. I feel like that's one of the fundamental choices in terms of game interaction, barring the interference of a spell or special ability.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO MAYLAY TARGET = U R DOING ITRONG!!1
    U NEED TO BE BITC HSLAPPED BY TEH GOST OF GR8T GYGAX HISSELF!!

    -NUNYA

    ReplyDelete
  4. A 7/11/13 elf f/mt

    Has at least 3/2 attacks and +2 hit +3 dmg, 13 thac0. Better save vs. Spells than a 19th level cleric and better save vs breath weapons than a 21st level magic user. He can wield any weapon (hello 2 handed intelligent vorpal sword) swear magic plate and cast 5th level spells. He is more powerful as a class than the 2e 20th level bard and reaches this level of power at 1.3 million XP. The same time a 2e bard hits 20th level and when a Mu is 16th level and only has like two 7th level spells and one 8th and can't use armor or weapons like the elf.

    Just because it looks like the class limits are low doesn't account for multiplying effect of mixing abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also melee targets are not random. Targets are only random if you can't distinguish between targets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @shieldhaven yeah I'm gonna try it but I bet people don't like it. Maybe players will try harder to isolate opponents so there is only one target.

    @UWS
    7fg and 11mu are assuming 18 in relevant stats. 5th and 9th are more likely. Elf has some of the best lvl limits and is only mu allowed to were armor.

    Also, you are wrong about melee attacks in OSRIC. Direct quote

    "When faced with more than one opponent, it is not possible to pick which opponent will be the one receiving the attack; in the rapid give and take of melee, any one of the opponents might be the one to let down his guard for a moment. When a character is in melee with multiple opponents, the target of the attack roll must be determined randomly, ..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I allowed characters with bow specialization to select a target at -2, while double specialization reduced that to -1. Non-specialized missile fire still calls for a random roll. Also, rolling a 1 on your attack roll calls for a random roll for all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, the randomness in melee is actually directly from AD&D 1e. Page 70 of the DMG has that rule in it. I'm not sure about the other rules, but I had that rule pointed out to me this past weekend, so I thought I would pass it along...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The random melee attack thing is actually straight off of page 70 of AD&D 1e DMG. I had that pointed out through a player this weekend, so I thought I would pass it on, not sure about the other rules, though.

    ReplyDelete

All Time Most Popular Posts