Friday, February 15, 2019

Friday Trivia Tragedy



A question a week, answers the following week, until I get bored or forget. All questions from the 2ed AD&D Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, Monstrous Compendium Volume I, and Monstrous Compendium Volume II. Even putting aside that 2ed is one of my least favorite editions, most the questions are troll piss. Rule math minutiae. Aspects of 2ed I find too stupid to endure. Quite a few that are common knowledge to any player these days. Mostly in regards to iconic monsters that were relatively new and unknown back in 1991.


First up last week's answer; How much is falling damage. 1d6 per 10 feet fallen.

This bothers me for reasons from trivial to vital. 10ft even 30ft pits are nothing after a few levels. The, "oh I jump off cliff, get up and carry on cause max possible damage is less than my hitpoints" maneuver. Physics! Later editions even cap the number of dice, 10d6! That fall from orbit? Yeah, I walk it off.

I use to rule it was 1d6 cumulative; 10' 1d6, 20' 3d6, 30' 6d6, 40' 10d6, etc. and/or any fall 60' or greater is auto-incapacitation (often via death). That there is a reason to have Feather Fall, Levitate, rope, thieves, something. But, as I've matured (or become mentally decrepit) I've learned to be less bothered by things not worth bothering about. Now I just put spikes slathered with Save-or-Die poison at bottom of my pits :)




Question (3rd lvl)

Which is of greater value, a topaz or an amethyst?

3 comments:

  1. Pretty sure it's topaz...but that may just be personal bias (topaz is my birthstone).
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best guess would be topaz, without looking it up, because back in the day when "Nature" stores and museum gift shops sold rocks & geodes, you could buy amethyst relatively cheaply. (It's a form of quartz.) whereas I don't recall seeing topaz for sale.

    Checking my work with Labyrinth Lord says Topaz is 500 gp and Amethyst is 250 gp.

    ReplyDelete

All Time Most Popular Posts