I'm aiming for fast (10min) character generation. Thus I have replaced starting monies and pouring over equipment lists with "pick an item from each column" detailed below. Which I'm hoping will be faster than "shopping". If not, table is setup for rolling randomly. I stocked it with old-school dungeoneering equipment to help develop the tone and style I hope to achieve in this campaign.
G&G Starting Equipment:
- Everyone has a belt, shoes, cloths, and cloak of common/poor variety.
- Humans, Halflings, and Elves start with 2d6 copper, shoulder/back pack, bedroll, 1 wk food, 2x waterskins.
- Halflings get a leather sling and some rocks.
- Elves get an ash longbow, quiver and 40 arrows.
- Gnomes get a red felt cap if male, green one for females.
- Dwarfs get a small ball of mud.
- Religious types start with an appropriate holy symbol of the non-fancy type.
- Pure fighters get an additional weapon of their choice from any of those listed below.
weapons1 weapons2 armor misc1 misc2
------- -------- ----- ---- ----
1 2 flasks oil lantern potion heal holy water flagon of wine/ale/whiskey
2 4 javelins shield 2d6x10cp pot helm holy symbol
3 caltrops The Deck draw better cloths chalk charcoal "pen" & 4 sheets of papyrus
4 1h dagger 1h dagger padded 2 lg sacks 4 person tent
5 1h sword sling leather 10 ft pole hammer & 10 spikes
6 1h mace lt xbow scale 50' rope shovel
7 1h pick 2h pick 50' twine crowbar
8 lh flail 2h flail 1lb grease horn
9 lh hammer 2h hammer 4 torches flint & steel
10 1h axe 2h axe/battleaxe 1 wk food pipe & tobacco
11 1h spear 2h spear/polearm
12 2h staff 2h staff
Finally each player gets one draw from The Deck. The Deck is a bunch of index cards each detailing a misc/weird/unusual item (see Jeff Rients's "Deck of Stuff" for details).