Thursday, March 4, 2010

Isomorphic Caves of Chaos

[UPDATE: I'll be running this for ITGW March 21st and again for a 12 hour marathon on April 3rd.  see post.]

Isomorphic (is that the right term?) maps have captured my attention since first time I saw one. I forget were, Don't think it was Ravenloft which I never owned. For my upcoming International Traditional Gaming Week B2 marathon I decided I'd try and make an isomorphic version of The Caves of Chaos.

Here's (part of) my 1st draft.


The original "can't copy me cause I'm blue" map.


I got tired of trying to count squares so just started where it seemed right. Irregular caves are hard to draw at an angle. Ran out of space for the temple and some parts of are more non-euclidean than isomorphic. Could make it work by shifting up and to left, squishing the far left stair/dungeon a bit. If I were to finish this I'd ink it up, mark traps and bits and then probably write on the map (in pencil) the room contents/encounters. I like running straight from marked up maps rather than having to refer to module write-up.

I like how it turned out. But, I think I'm gonna use Hackmaster's version of B2 for the marathon. Its map is much larger and has more depth/options than the small, mostly linear lairs of B2. It also has many more prisoner/slaves making that option of introducing new players much more likely. It's maps aren't very multi-level and are too big to fit on my iso paper so little reason to make iso versions of them.

7 comments:

  1. You may be thinking of isometric maps, rather than isomorphic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isometric maps are sooo cool to look at because they are from the human/demi-human eye expressed artistically but usually a crude cartographic pictorial rendition of an area. The beauty is in the artwork as well as the cartographic errors.
    Now get to work because we demand to see The Caves of Chaos through the eyes of Norm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Norman, if you are looking to expand the HM 4 version of B2 even further, there are a couple of supplements at Hacklopedia.com.

    Kenzerco will also release Frandor's Keep, and expanded version for their HackMaster Basic game, but I don't think it will be ready by the 27th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and there is actually plenty of material in the original B2 - I once ran a marathon game in college over a weekend.

    We went at least 24 hours, and I got tired of the PCs beating on the monster tribes individually so I had the survivors gang up and siege the town, making the adventure even shorter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Maddog

    Thanks that's good info, it lasting all weekend. (I've never DM'd B2 but it didn't seem big enough) I'm reconsidering...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great adaptation of the Caves of Chaos maps. I've always loved that map. I tried an isometric adaptation a while back, but I couldn't get it to work out to my satisfaction. I really like what you did!

    ReplyDelete

All Time Most Popular Posts